Thursday, December 22, 2011

Court Date a Hard One

It was a rough night . I was trying to accept the reality that I am so close to the baby and yet will not be able to spend anymore time with her.

We were picked up at 9am , the drive to the court house left me with more questions than answers.We had heard
That there was a police report being
Faxed from
Her birth city stating that they tried but could not find the key witness. My lawyer was not sure 1- if they would have the fax in time 2- if the judge would accept this report or ask for more investigation.

I waited in a room with adoptive families and birth families as well.
I was very glad that it was a quiet day at court and I did not wait long. I was called into see the judge showed her my passport and she asked me about 5 questions,they were all easy to answer
She explained to me she was requesting an add be run in the newspaper asking if anyone objects to the adoption. Jan 9th is the deadline for
Anyone to come forward.
The judge did not have the famous MOWA letter but my lawyer had heard it was written so they are off this afternoon to go to the MOWA office to get a copy.

So it played out a bit different than I thought , I was pretty sure I was not passing ( but it is hard to not still hope for a miracle )
I am very happy with the ad in the paper as it has a deadline and from what I understand will be the last step before the adoption order is granted.

How perect it would have been to be at the final step and be able to exhale and of course spend Christmas with the baby. On the upside I feel I can handle the wait of a newspaper ad, and this is so much better than starting her paper work all over again as I an not sure I would have survived months of paper work hunting.

The other little bit of good news is my mom and I are really happy in Ethiopia and love being here so now we will hunt out some new adventures.

SK






4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it was a hard one, but at least there was an answer with a deadline! Let us know when you find out about the infamous MOWA letter. Love having the photos up now! Is that you and your lawyer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi again! sorry to hear that the MOWA letter wasn't at court when you were!
    keeping our fingers crossed that it will arrive today and they will call you and you can go to see Adea. Glad you both like Ethiopia, hope your today adventure is neat. keep posting the photos....they are great. take care, good luck...xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my friend.... I hurt for your disappointment! It sucks. Wish I was there to make you laugh. But I am glad you are loving Ethiopia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon - I am sorry the court situation was not "ideal", and that the coming days may not be filled the way you had hoped :( To find the silver lining, perhaps the situation as it is, will make your next step (coming home without her and waiting to hear more)... I don't want to say "easier" because NOTHING about this journey has been easy for you, but perhaps it will make the next few months "a little less difficult" - I think often about you "protecting your own heart", during this difficult process. Love the pictures, and more importantly, the positive attitude - you are inspiring!!!!!!
    Courage my friend - we are sending positive vibes!
    P.S. - I spoke to Kathleen a few times yesterday and she has been trying hard to write and comment on your posts, but the Blog website does not seem to be allowing her to do so. I tried to help her figure it out, but no success. Please know she is reading, and thinking of you both!!
    Good adventuring! xo

    ReplyDelete